Tourist attractions - Vaslui

The „Birth of the God’s Mother” Church, Chitoc Village, Lipovăt Commune
Galerii de imagini: 1 | 2 | 3


The „Birth of the God’s Mother” Church, Chiţoc Village, Lipovăţ Commune, Vaslui County

 (code LMI 2004: VS-II-m-B-06782)



Built during 1852-1855, squire Ştefan Angheluţă and his wife, Smaranda, in the northern part of the village, at the edges of the forest. Besides the church, during 1857-1874, there functioned one of the most well-known private schools in the region, founded and maintained by the founder, attended by over 100 students. The three teachers taught according to a curriculum similar to the primary schools from towns, with vocal music and religious songs courses. One of the students of the school was I. Antonovici, future archbishop of Huşi (1924-1931). After the death of the philanthropist founder (1800-1876), former president of Vaslui Vestry (1853), the first president of Vaslui Town Council (1860), founder of „ The „Dormition of the Virgin Mary” Church from Bahnari - Vaslui (1860-1862) and donator to „Sf. Voievozi” (“Saints Lords”) wooden church from Tanacu (1826), Chiţoc church was administrated by the former owners and the community, becoming a parish in 1894.


A three-apse plan church, with semicircular apses, Diaconicon and Proskomede, in jutty, belfry tower on the threshold on the west side. Built of brick bearer masonry, on stone foundations and dado, wooden framework, short coping and sheet coverage, initially of shingle. In the interior, the vaulting system, relied on consoles with profiles in restraint, is composed of semi-cylindrical vaults on the nave and narthex, semi-cylindrical vault above the chorus balcony, semi-caps on the altar and lateral apses. The arches are covered with boards. The facades, structured on two registers through a tall girdle, are marked by rectangular panels, deepened in the masonry, pilasters, niches wide opened in arch in the centre, strongly figured perches, underlined by rectangular dentils and windows with openings in mitered arch in its superior part. The bell tower of square section on four levels, decorated in the same ornamental style, has its roof arched and covered with flake sheet.


It shelters the iconostasis from 1852-1855, which was sculpted by master Nicolae and painted by Gheorghe the painter, oil on wood. In the narthex there is the votive portrait of the founders which dates from 1861 and was signed by V. Siffert. The collection of old religious books could be seen at the municipal Museum from Huşi.

Pentru informaţii despre celelalte programe finanţate de Uniunea Europeană în România, cât şi pentru informaţii detaliate privind aderarea României la Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi adresa web a Centrului de Informare al Comisiei Europene in Romania.
Acest site web nu reprezintă în mod necesar poziţia oficială a Comisiei Europene. Întreaga răspundere asupra corectitudinii şi coerenţei informaţiilor prezentate revine iniţiatorilor site-ului web.