Tourist routes Vaslui


  1. In the Municipality of Vaslui – can be visited:


The Stefan the Great” County Museum

Vaslui County Museum was opened on the 26th of September 1975, being appreciated back then as well as now as the newest museum in the country, aspect visible to this day, as well as the best executed from the tematic, scientifical, and museotechnic point of vue.

The „Stefan cel Mare” County Museum comprises sections of archeology, medieval and contemporary history, ethnography, plastic arts and a humor saloon called „Constantin Tanase”.



The Mavrocordat Palace

The Mavrocordat Palace is the most famous of the historical monuments of Vaslui. It was erected at the end of the 19th century, by Gheorghe Mavrocordat, and is one of the most beautiful buildings in town, impressive for its ornaments, sizes and style, enduring throughout the ages, being very close to the original form. Main access is being made by a portal with a decorated steeple with ceramic plates and at present hosts the Palace of Children (Students’ Club).



The „Beheading of Saint John the Baptist” Princely Church

The „Beheading of Saint John the Baptist” Princely Church in Vaslui is the foundation of the ruler Stefan the Great, dated in the year 1490, as a chapel of the princely court. As the votive inscription on the western wall says, the church was erected in less than five months (April 27 – September 20).

In 1894, Grigore Ioanid ornaments the interior with mural painting. Today’s aspect is due to the restoration workings in 1913-1930.

Although changed by the modern interventions, the church remains a representative monument of the architecture of the epoch of Stefan the Great, because of the particularities of the over enlarged narthex, solution adopted in the building of city churches from the time of the great voivode.


The „Nicolae Milescu The Spatharus“ County Library, with an impressive number of volumes, has an important role in the cultural life of the county of Vaslui. Founded in 1951, the library disposes now of a valuable fund of rare books, religious books of the 17th-18th century, autographed volumes of the great Romanian classics, and complete collections of revues published beofre 1945.

The Ghica House

It was built in the neoclassical style and is the oldest building in town. It belongs to Elena Ghica (owner of the borough of Vaslui), sister of the last ruler of Moldavia, Grigore Ghica.


The Madarjac and Ornescu Houses were made by Italian masters like Delcasse and Ornescu and are significant for the image of the Romanian cities in the 19th century.




  1. Route: Vaslui - Muntenii de Sus – Solesti – Miclesti – Codaesti – Danesti - Tacuta


Muntenii de Sus – The village museum and the „Randurile” Folk Assembly


Solesti - The Rosetti-Solescu Mansion

The mansion was built in the 19th century by the Rosetti family, descendent of the great boyar family Ruset (Roset), of royal origin, the Solescu branch. The most important personality of the family was Lady Elena Cuza, wife of ruler Alexandru Ioan Cuza.

The house is a representative building for the Moldavian and Romanian architecture, at the beginning of the 19th century, combining traditional lements with the neoclassical style, dominant in the Europe of that epoch.

The monument is in an advanced stage of degradation, needing urgently a consolidation-restoration.


Solesti – The „Dormition of the Theotokos” Church of the Rosetti-Solescu mansion, erected between 1859 and 1860 by Ecaterina Rosetti-Solescu, as court chapel. In the courtyard there is the tomb of Lady Elena Cuza.


Solesti – The Stioborani Village – The „St.Nicholas” Wooden Church of the former Stiuborani hermitage.

It was founded in 1726 by the Lord Steward Grigoras Mardare and removed to the actual place between 1941 şi 1945.


Miclesti – The „Stefan the Great and Holy” Monastery on the Burcel Hill

The Burcel Hill is located 4 km north-west to the commune of Miclesti, 25 km north to Vaslui. It is documented in 1498, as property of the seneschal Purcel.

On the sides of this hill there is a valuable botanic reservation, comprinsing over 270 flower species, Pontic especially, rare species for the flora of Moldavia.

Annually, on celebration day, here take place religious and cultural artistic activities dedicated to the titular saints of the monastery and to the memory of the ruler of Moldavia, Stefan the Great (1457-1504).


CodaestiThe assembley of the mansion Roset-Bals, the Pribesti village (the 17-19th century) is composed of the Roset-Bals house, court church, administrative house and annex buildings (barn).

The Roset-Bals house is considered one of the greatest achievements of the Moldavian civil architecture in the 17-18th century.

The first documentary certification of the Pribesti mansion dates in the days of the ruler Constantin Cantemir, on the 14th of November 1691.

The monument is under consolidation-restauration, with financing from the Ministry of Culture and Cults.


Codaesti – The „The Birth of the Theotokos” wooden church, the Pribesti village

It was founded around 1844 by the steward Lupu Bals and his wife, Eufrosina, as court chapel, on the place of a church having as „St. Nicholas” as titular saint, certified in 1636, and rebuilt in 1765, by the Ruset (Roset) family. The church is part of the assembley of the Roset-Bals mansion.

The 19th century wood on oil  iconostasis is preserved. „The Homily Book of Varlaam”, printed in Jassy in 1643, contains annotations about the founders.



Danesti – memorial house „Emil Racovita”, Emil Racovita village

Emil Racovita was a Romanian explorer, speologist and biologist, being considered the founder of biospeology (study of underground fauna – caves and ground water net). During his life he was designated as academician and president of the Romanian Academy.

The memorial house „Emil Racovita” (1868-1947), the place where he was born, is organized in memory of he who founded speology and comprises objects connected with the life of the scholar’s childhood, photocopies, facsimils (exact reproduction of a text, a signature, design or painting with the help of photography, phototype, by manual copying).


Tacuta – the village museum

The muzeum, founded in 1986 by the teachers Elena and Costel Rotaru, present exhibits of ethnographical profile. It is a small museum, with things of great value, however: paintings, coins, popular costumes, hemp processing devices, with sections of archeology, ethnography, popular art, rich collections of plastic art, rare objects and a series of books autographed by the authors. Some exponates are unique in the country.



  1. Route: Vaslui – Zapodeni – Balteni – Brahasoaia – Rebricea – Rafaila – Cozmesti – Delesti – Vaslui


Zapodeni: The „St. Nicholas” Wooden Church

The church was built around 1770 by Carp Balauta. Masters were: Ioan Mustiuc of Zapodeni, Pavel Stoleru and Rusu Zaharia of Jassy.

In more recent stage, the facades were lined with boards.


Balteni: Forest and Botanic ReservationThe Balteni Reservation is the nearest to the municipality of Vaslui, situated 10 km away, in The Meadow of Barlad, area known by the locals as the grove of Barlad. Here rare species grow, such as small hedge mustard, the particoloured tulip, the rich snowdrop, the yellow tulip, the fen flags, together with meadow oaks. In 1982, the reservation had more than 300 ha, and now it is down to 18,8 ha. Beyond the scientific importance, the Balteni reservation offers an outstanding landscape, that attracts many nature lovers.


Brahasoaia: The Forest and Botanic of Harboanca

The forest and botanic reservation of Harboanca has a surface of 40,8 ha and is placed on the right side of the Barlad river, in the vicinity of the Brahasoaia village, representing a typicall island of the Central Moldavian Plateau’s silvostepa of old. It is places 16 km north-west away from Vaslui and possesses a great richness of oak species.


Rebricea: The „Dormition of the Theotokos” Church, the Tatomiresti village

The church was built in 1792 by seneschal Arghire Cuza and his wife, Ilinca. In the narthex there are funerary tombs of the founders.


Rafaila: The „Dormition of the Theotokos” Church of the Rafaila Monastery

It was built in 1834 on the initiative of the hieromonk Iorest, on the place of the older wooden church (documented in 1599 and 1636). The wooden church was moved from the precincts of the monastery to the center of the village, being a parish to this day. The facades are decorated with neoclassical elements.


Rafaila: The giant Poplar  

The poplar from the days of Stefan the Great is 550  years old adn has a 13 m circular line, is considered a monument of nature, protected by the law. Throughout the times it was hit by lightning and burnt in many occasions, and yet, it still stands green.


Cozmesti: Fastaci Monastery, The Fastaci village

The monastery, founded by the boyars Palade in the 17th century, was rebuilt by the ruler Mihai Racovita Cehan, in the 18th century. It undertook expansions and transformations during the 19th century.

The assembly comprises: the „St. Nicholas” church (1721), the belfry tower (1808), the abbot houses (1834) and the precincts wall (1834-1851).




Delesti: The „Dormition of Theotokos” Church of the former hermitage Harsova (Harsovita), Manastirea village

The church was founded in 1756 by the tent steward Stefan Caracas, called Galusca, on the place of an old church of the hermitage having „St. Nicholas” as celebration day, confirmed in 1669. The iconostasis bears the signature of Grigorie Zugrav (1756).


 4. Route: Vaslui – Laza – Poienesti – Ivanesti – Garceni – Dragomiresti – Voinesti – Puiesti – Pogana – Barlad (cazare Barlad)


Laza: Puscasi Lake

The Lake is located on the DN Vaslui–Bacau, at th entrance in the commune of Laza, and is one of the most important acuumulating lakes in Romania, where the following fish species are protected: carp, gold fish, chub, novak, plant feeder, bream.


Poienesti: The Floresti Monastery, the Floresti village

The monastery is founded by Carstea Ghenovici, High Steward, in the 16th century was renewed by Gavrilita Costache the steward and his sons - Vasile the steward and Lupu the treasurer – along with Antohie Jora the hetman, in the 17th century and rebuilt by the abbot Nil between 1852-1859.

The assembly comprises the „St. Elijah” Church, the abbot palace, the gate tower and belfry, all bearing the marks of reconstruction of 1852 and 1859, in romantic style.


Ivanesti: The „St. Nicholas” Church of the former hermitage Gologofta-Husenii-Balica

It was founded in 1774 by Ghenadie Cazimir, hieromonk, and repaired byhieromonk Veniamin, in 1830, when steeples with dating inscriptions above the narthex door and northern facade were added.


Garceni: Malineşti Monastery - „St. Voevodes” Wooden Church of the Malineşti Monastery

The Malinesti hermitage is placed at an altitude of 600m, in a pictoresque spot, surrounded by forests, on the top of the Cucu hill. Here is the most ancient monastical settlement in the region, of which the church and a few annex buildings were preserved.

The church was built by the monastic community in 1826, having s masters Gheorghe and Teodor, by the old church of the hermitage of 1762 (foundation of the monk Nicodim). It was repaired and endowed by marshall Constantin Prezan, in 1925.

Housing can be provided.


Dragomiresti: The „Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple (Vovidenia)” Wooden Church

It was built around 1774, by the apprentice Enea and the smith master Neagu, eastward to an older church (brought in the 17th century from the point ”La cimitir”, today missing). Built by the village community.

The church impresses by the accuracy of the technical execution, harmony of forms, the monumentality of interor space, preservation of the initial aspect and structure.


Voinesti: The „Devout Parascheve” wooden church, Voinesti village

It was built around 1745 by the village community.

The first cult sanctuary is documentarily mentioned in 1460, in the days of the rule of Stefan the Great, functioning as monastery.

The painting on the iconostasis and lectern was executed by Anastasie, painter, abbot of Floresti Monastery, in 1745, according to the inscription in Cyrillic under the icons of titular saints.


Voinesti: „Dormition of Theotokos” Wooden Church, the Obarseni village

Built by the village community, in 1818, on a plateau situated in the eastern part of the village, surrounded by cemetery.

The present altar screen is located above the one painted on canvas by Anastasie the painter, in the 18th century, brought probably from Voinesti.


Puiesti: The „St. Nicholas” Wooden Church of the former hermitage Stramba, the Cetatuia village

Built by the monk community of the Neamt Monastery, probably in the 16th century, the hurch undertook some modifications in the 18th century. It is one of the oldest monuments in the Diocese of Husi and has the iconostasis of 1670, painted tempera on wood.

Pogana: „Dormition of the Theotokos” Wooden Church, the Carjoani village

Built in 1777 by the village community, the church has an inscription in Cyrillic letters, closing system with „fastening and handler” and iconostasis (fragment), from the 18th century, painted tempera on wood.

The housing can be provided in Barlad only.



5.       ROute: Barlad – Tutova (Badena) – Bogdanita – Fruntiseni – Zorleni


Barlad: The „St. Elijah” Churc of the furrier gild

It was built by the furrier gild between 1859-1869, mext to the wooden church, founded by the furrier gild of  1794-1795; architect: Ignat Lorenzo, masters: Mihai Popoiu and Gheorghe Baciul, mason apprentices. Restored by the Ministry of Culture and Cults (1993-2004).


Barlad: The „Dormition of the Theotokos” Princely Church

It was built by the ruler of Moldavia, Vasile Lupu,  in the 17th century (a. 1636) on the place of a church whose foundation is attributed to Stefan the Great (the 16th century). The church was rebuilt from the ground between 1804 and 1827 and rebuilt from the windows level up between 1840-1842, and in 1867 the rope room was added.


Barlad: The  Vasile Parvan Museum

The museum was founded by the inteligentsia of Barlad on the 10th of April 1914, out of the desire to collect cultural assets in a specialized institution that would treasure and pointed out for the grand audience.

Este amenajat în clădirea Vechii Prefecturi, o clădire declarată monument arhitectural.

It hosts permanent exhibitions: six collections admitted as donations, composed of Romanian popular art, plastic, European and extreme-oriental art, numismatics, medalistics, arms, icons, patrimonial books, all organized as a collection museum.

In another building there are exhibits that present the life of the locals, as well as a paleontologic collection and a petrographic one. The natural science section presents elements of flora and fauna of the Plateau of Moldavia, the ethographic collection reflecting the occupations, the popular costumes and the traditions of the inhabitants, and the plastic one presents works of great artists in the Barlad area, and not only.


Barlad: The „Stroe Belloescu” Library

It was built in 1906, on the initiative of Barlad intellectuals who managed to raise 300 volumes.

The “Stroe Belloescu” Library has, at present, quite an impressive number of volumes and a very important and rare book patrimony who entered the cultural-national patrimony.


Barlad: The Sturdza House

The monument building was built at the end of the 18th-19th century and belonged to Alecu (Alexandru) Sturdza, Spathares. Between 1980-1993, the building was consolidated, becoming the location of the art section, where 7 collections entered as donations in the museum patrimony were exposed. The building was donated to the city by the descendents of the Epureanu family.

In this space functioned the Financial Administration and lately the Court House of Bârlad, until 1977. From 1978, as a result of dilligences made, it is taken under the museum’s administration, being listed among the monuments in order to be saved from demolition. For the moment, it functions under the name of Collections’ Museum.



Tutova: The ,, Badeana Forest” Forest Reservation has a surface of 58 ha, is placed in the southern part of the county, on the territory of the commune of Tutova.

The Badeana Forest, botanic reservation, is ideal for trips and represents one of the few vestiges of the large silvostepa woods in the past.

Here we find: fluffy oak, various holms, the gray oak, can, the Tatar maple, manna, etc.

Of the continental elements we remind of these species: Spring bird’s eye, small almond, bells, scabious, colchicum, saffron, flag, small rose.


Bogdanita: The „ St. Nicholas” Wooden Church of the former Cartibasii hermitage

It was built in 1833 by the senschal Gheorghe Oprisan adn his wife, Ruxanda, on the place of a church of 1753 (founded by the priest Stefan Bostaca and the Paladesti, Buciumanesti and Cornii kins).

The iconostasis is dated in the 19th century, with painting in oil on wood.


Fruntiseni: The „St. Nicholas” Church and The „St. Trinity” Church of the Grajdeni monastery, the  Grajdeni village

It was built around 1862 by bishop Anania, on the place of an old church of the hermitage having Saint Nicholas as titular saint, of the 16th century.

The narthex hosts the kingly icon of the 19th century: „theotokos with the Enfant Child”, wonder-maker, painted in oil on wood with silvery rise.


Zorleni: The Bujoreni Monastery 

The monastic settlement was built in the 16th-17th century (a. 1602), as a hermitage of the Bujoreanu family, on the domain bearing the same name, in a secluded place, in the woods.

The church was built by the financial contrbution of some shepards who came from the mountain with their flocks to spend winter, having the „Dormition of Theotokos” as celebrating day, was reconstructed of wood again, by the end of the 18th century, by the steward Gavril Conachi.

It shelters the tomb of the founder, in a niche in the wall separating the nave and the narthex.

Housing can be provided.


6.       Route:  Zorleni – Costesti – Deleni – Costesti (Lady’s Bridge) – Muntenii de Jos - Vaslui


Zorleni: The Bujoreni Monastery


Costesti: The Parvesti Monastery, the Parvesti village

The monastery was founded in 1666 by te gate steward Apostol Talpes and his nephews, Ioan and Simion Popescu, senschals of Bilahoi, and then was rebuilt in 1816-1820 by the monk Nicodim Popescu, descendant of the founders, along with cavalry commaneder Gh. Gociu and Ioan Nedelcu.

The assembly comprises two wooden buildings, the „St. Nicholas” church and the belfry tower. 

The church was built between 1816and 1820 on the initiative of Nicodim Popescu, monk, Gheorghe Gociu cavalry commander and Ioan Nedelcu, on the place of an older sanctuary, of 1666. It preserves the epoch painting and furniture.

The belfry tower, built in 1820, on the initiative of Nicodim Popescu, monk, Gh. Gociu, cavalry commander and Ioan Nedelcu and is a unique example in the Husi Diocese, by structure and setting.


Deleni: The Moreni Monastery, the Moreni village

Founded in the 16th century, as hermitage, during the rule of Petru Rares, by purveyor Lupan Buznea and his wife, Maria, on their domain, located in the valley of the Ghilahoi creek, which gave it the name of Bilavoi hermitage or Lupan’s hermitage.

The church having „The Dormition” as celebration day, built around 1540, was remade after a fire in the 17th century (a. 1770). In the 19th century (a. 1853), a new wooden and rolls church was erected by the monks with the help of two faithful, Horduna and Giusca.

The monastery can provide ecumenical and cultural touristic services.


Costesti: Lady’s Bridge, The Chitcani Village
On te road that connects
Rosiesti to the Vaslui-Barlad Road (DN 24), at km 97, there is the stone bridge, known as "Lady’s Bridge".

The monument was built in 1841 by the ruler Mihai Sturdza, according to the two inscriptions written in Romanian and Latin, placed in the middle of the balustrades, on te side toward the road, framed by medalions carved in stone: "This bridge was built at the command of the Ruler Mihai.A.Grigoriu Sturza VV Lord of the Land of Moldavia in the 8th year of his rule and being concluded ...The Ministry was open for use on the 8th of Nov. 1841". (written text in Romanian with Cyrillic letters, on the southern side, subsequently remade).

Muntenii de Jos – The Bacauani village: The Equestrian Statue of Stefan the Great at Podul Înalt (10 km far from Vaslui), was erected in memory of the great Moldavian ruler, who won in these places one of the most impressive victories in the history of the country: on the 10th of January 1475, Stefan the Great’s army, outnumbered, crushed the Turkish armies, led by Suleiman Pasha.

The monument was inaugurated on the 25th of October 1975, on the ocassion of 500 years since the victory of the Moldavians led in battle against the Turks by.

On the main facadeof the dado it is inscriptioned with letters in relief, in bronse: "Stefan the Great, Ruler of Moldavia, 1457-1504".

The work is considered o reference work for the contemporary scupture, for which the prize of the Romanian Academy „Ion Andreescu” was awarede to the scuptor Mircea Stefanescu


7.       Route: Husi – Padureni – Dimitrie Cantemir – Husi


Husi: the Bishopric of Husi

The architectural assembly of the Bishopric of Husi (the 15th-20th century) consists of the “St. Apostles Peter and Paul” Church, the belfry tower, the diocesan palace, the cells, and the precincts wall.

The Bishopric of Husi was installed, in 1598, in the princely court founded by Stefan the Great at the end of the 15th century.

The church with celebration day „St. Apostles Peter and Paul” (1753-1756) was built on the foundations of the princely church in 1495. The Diocesan Palace, built between 1771 and 1792, comprises the princely house’s cells.

The precincts wall, built between 1826-1848, was remade when the gate tower was built, in 1938. 


The Diocesan Palace of te Bishopric of Husi was built between 1771 and 1792, on the initiative of the bishop Inochentie and finished by the bishop Iacob Stamati. It was erected on the place of the diocesan houses, burnt in 1711 and remade in 1714 by the bishop Sava, with the help of  the ruler Nicolae Mavrocordat, upon the ruins of the former princely palace.


The Diocesan Museum of Husi – establishment of culture and Orthodox spirituality, comprises the most valuable testimonies of plastic ad decorative art in the Bishopric of Husi (the 16th-19th century), as well as an important treasure of old Romanian and foreign book (the 17th-19th century).


Huşi : The viniculture museum

It is a unique museum, created and hosted by the Viticol School in Husi, by Prof. Ph.D. Avram D. Tudosie, who created a true sanctuary of wine, to hand down to future generations important information about the tools and manner used in Husi to turn grapes into wine.

A very rich collection of wine bottles can be found here, dating from 1949, among which there are breeds of Husi and abroad vineyards.

One of the important pieces in the wine cellar is the presser, whose size is of three meters in length, with a 60 de centimeters in diameter, achieved in the form of a gutter made of a notched tree trunk, where the grapes were pressed in a special hemp sac.

Here can be organized gustation evenings for both specialists and tourists.


Padureni: The Padureni village is situated nearby Husi and distinguishes itself by the great variety of constructions and the abundance of elements of popular art.. Here was formed the Stejarelul” Folk Assembly, by a teacher in the village, asembly fo national and international recognition (spactacles can be organized).

The Dobrina Forest, nearby Husi (where there is a touristic halt), offers moments of rest and relaxation for both locals and tourists.


Dimitrie Cantemir: „Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple” Wooden Church of the „Dimitrie Cantemir” Monastery

The foundation is attributed to the family of the ruler Dimitrie Cantemir (a. 1692). It was built initially in the Silisteni village, was moved on the actual place in the 17th century, by the cure of the village community, on the place of the old church of the Grumezoaia hermitage, founded around 1668. The present aspect is due to the renovation in 2004.



8.       Barlad - Zorleni – Mugeni


Barlad: The „St. Elijah” Church of the furrier gild, The „Dormition of the Theotokos” Princely Church,

The Vasile Parvan Museum, The „Stroe Belloescu” Library, The Sturdza House.


Zorleni: The Bujoreni Monastery


Murgeni: Carja is a locality that took its name after the boyar Carja, who was the owner of a very large domain on the present territory of the village. The name endured over the centuries.

Carja is lnown in the Vaslui County for is piscicol farms and for the natural potential at its disposal, for the expansion of water, a true paradise for aquatic birds, among which: swans, ducks and widl geese, water swallows, coots, cormorants, aigrets, spoon bills, storks, galls, and pelicans.

The fish variety that could be found until few years ago in te waters of Carjei, attracted a great number of professional and amator fishrmen. Of these categories: the carp, the carp-gold-fish, the tench, the dogwood, the bream, the sheat fish, the luce, the perch. Tourists can have promenades on the lake on boat.



Pentru informaţii despre celelalte programe finanţate de Uniunea Europeană īn Romānia, cāt şi pentru informaţii detaliate privind aderarea Romāniei la Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi adresa web a Centrului de Informare al Comisiei Europene in Romania.
Acest site web nu reprezintă īn mod necesar poziţia oficială a Comisiei Europene. Īntreaga răspundere asupra corectitudinii şi coerenţei informaţiilor prezentate revine iniţiatorilor site-ului web.