Tourist routes Hincesti





City of Hincesti – ancient locality in Moldova, it is located in a pictoresque area, bordering to the west the ancient forest of Lapusna, and on the other side, out of Chişinău, to the west side, it borders a large plane, crossed by the creek Cogîlnicul that flows to the south.


Since its beginnings, Hincesti has been a purely Moldavian village, inhabited by free peasants (razesi), diligent people and with beautiful folk traditions.


The origin of the name of the city is tied to the name of an ancient Moldavian boyar family, named Hincul, owners of large domains in these parts. The city is five centuries old. The year of the dating can not be accurately established; the earliest written notification of the existence of Hincesti seems an inscription on the pages of a Psalter of 1653-1658. The most notorious personality in the history of the Lapusna land is Mihalcea Hincu, countryside boyar, whose fame is due to his rebellion in 1871, along with other boyars, against Gheorghe-Duca Vodă, because of the excesive fiscality. With a large support of the population, he managed to conquer Jassy and force the ruler abandon the country.


Actualy, the city has a population of 15,3 thousand inhabitants, four high schools, and aproximately 80 firms, companies, bank subsidiaries, state enterprises, factoeries and insurance companies conduct here their activities. 


Under the protection of the City Hall a sport club is registered, within which 14 specialists activate – box, judo, free wrestling coaches. City Hall’s attention is directed toward the betterment of the city’s infrastructure.




Geographical position


Hincesti County is located in the center of the Republic of Moldova, in the Forests area. The residential center is city Hincesti, locate 35 km from the capital city and 120 km from the Municipality of Jassy, Romania. The surface of the county is of 1483,4 km2, which is 4,6%  of the territory of the Republic of Moldova. The Hincesti County has a total of 63 localities: 1 city – Hincesti and 62 villages. The relief is predominantly hilly, with heights within 100 and 350 m. The main rivers are Prut, Lapusnita and Cogilnic. The clime is continental-moderate, especial for its unstable character. The average air temperature equals + 90C. The temparature’s absolute minimum is of the month of January (from - 30 to - 320C) and the maximum to the month of July (from +39 to + 400C).    




Description of the villages in the touristic routes


The first touristic route:


Hincu Monastery – Ciuciuleni – Stolniceni – Loganesti – Hincesti



The Hincu Monastery – surrounded by forests, it is located at the source of the Cogilnic creek. According to the legend, the monastery appeared due to the desire of the daughter of the boyar Mihalcea Hincu to become nun. At the beginning, the parents opposed, but the young woman ran to the forests and hid into a lair, whre she stood until she heard the bell of the small church erected on that place by Hîncu. The young woman asumed the name of Parascheva, and around her a very strong monastic community was found. At present, the monastery is one of the most visited touristic national destinations.



Ciuciuleni – one of the largest villages in the county, Ciuciuleni firstly appears in the documents on the 10th of April 1430, by the name of Voloaca. The traveler who gets here is impressed by the grandness of the groove where the village’s abode lies, surrounded by the  hills Femeiei, Velniţei, Voloseni, etc.


The village has many areas installed for the rest of the local people, especially by the ponds in the forest area. In the forest between Coasta Velniţei and Valea Batrana there is the estival camp, actually preserved.


Visits and local trips:

The medieval abode (4/10/1430) with two churches „St. Nicholas” and „St. George”, in the vicinity of Hincu Monastery.

Nature: pictoresque woods (772 ha), Cogilnic creek.

Hincu Monastery, with three churches, receptive monastic community, pilgrimage – the 28th of October, the Celebration Day og the Devout Saint Paraskeve, protector of Moldova.

Popular craftsmen: Ion Belei (artistical treatment of wood).

Rest days: The pond of Turcanu, At Berezovschi’s, The pond of Voloseni.

Wineries: three in the village.


Housing: in the available peasant households (Berez M., Turcanu G., Berezovschi N.), in tents, in the rest area.


Alimentation: in the commune there are 12 alimentary commercial units.


Acces is being made by the Balcani road (7 km) or from Hincesti (30 km)




Stolniceni – even though in the archive documents Stolniceni is dated in the middle of the 17th century, many civilisations walked these lands. The Getic culture is, apparently, dominant in this areal. Contemporary archeologists discovered in the wood, only 3 km east to the village, one of the greatest Geto-Dacian strongholds in Moldova. It was erected of earth, crowned with timber and was round in shape. Stolniceni is the origin locality of the Metropolitan of Transylvania, Antonie Plamadeala, born in a small house nearby the church „The Cover of the Theotokos”, erected by the locals in 1911. The local authorities intent to rebuild this house, in order to turn it into a museum.


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (3/29/1645) with the church „The Cover of the Theotokos” (1911).

Nature: pictoresque forest (1293 ha), Cogilnic creek.

Archeologic site: the Geto-Dacian stronghold of ring form, made of earth (4-3 century B.C.), 3,5 km away from the village, in the woods, one of the biggest of this kind in the Republic of Moldova.

Local denominations: Fundoaia, Cioluc, Valea Cogilnicului, Ciuta, Dupa vii.

Personalities: The Metropolitan of Transylavania, Antonie Plamadeala (1926-2006).

Rest days: Socarie, children ex-camp; Lazaroaia, place for a new touristic camp, Poienita Vesela and the Pound of Vişina.

Winery: SRL „Planta-Vin”.


Housing: rest house of SRL „Planta-Vin” with 14 places, pool, conference hall; available peasant households; in tents and rest zone.


Alimentation: 6 units in the commune,alimentary commercial units.


The acces is being made by coming from Hincesti (17 km) and the village Loganesti.




Loganesti – stretching across the Cogilnic creek, the actual village ocuppies the abodes of four medieval villages. They are situated on the afforested hills on both sides of a trade route. The athmosphere og a forest locality is overwhelming for anyone who came here. In the past, on the territory of the village Loganesti functioned three estival camps, a villa sector and a few rest zones. Those who love the ecological tourism can visit in Loganesti one of the biggest medical plant reservation in the woods.


Visists and local trips:

Medieval abode (4/5/1655,under the name of Pulbereni) with the church „St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel” (initially built of wood -1828, then of stone -1936).

Protected nature: Natural Reserve of Medical Plants (710 ha), Centennial Oak at Bucium, (wood of 1449 ha), Cogilnic creedk.

Local denomination: Ciula, Siereni, Cloanta, Bucium, Sicveni, Valea Ciunduc etc.

Monuments: former boyar mansion, 3 medieval abodes: At Hoviste, Loganesti, Pulbereni-Mitoc, a Tatar settlement.

Rest zone: 200 places ex-camps, The Ponds La Iresti, Bucium Forest.


Housing: in available peasant households (Gajiu V., Vdudovici I.), in tents in the rest zone.


Alimentation: on the territory of the commune there are 11 alimentar commercial units.


Acces is being madefrom Hincesti, for 11 km.




The second touristic route:


Hincesti – Lapusna -  Negrea – Cărpineni



Lapusna – the village of Lapusna is one of the oldest settleemnts on the territory of Moldova, being mentioned for the first time in a document issued by Alexandru cel Bun (1429). In the middle of the 16th century, Lapusna was the Princely Court and is considered the origin place of the ruler Alexandru Lapusneanu, of Moldova. In the course of its history, the locality had a ununiform development: it was a flourishing borough, an important military-administrative and economic center on a commercial road connecting Poland and Transylvania to Crimeea and The Black Sea. In the middle of the village arises the „St. Voivodes Michael and Gabriel” Church, that has many elements of the cult sanctuaries of Walahia, characteristic to the 15-6 century. In 1814, the reconstruction of the the wooden church on stone is resumed. The church is finished in 1818 and then consecrated by the Metropolitan Gavriil Banulescu-Bodoni. In the village there are also many cellars and medieval caves (15th century), tied to many legends and historical events. At the exit of the village, toward Paşcani, on a lenght of 2 km there are several lakesthat make a special landscape.


By the village of Rusca, on the national route Chisinau-Leuseni (5 km from Lapusna, toward Hincesti), at the base of a turning through the forests there is The Obelisk of the Soldiers killed during the WWII. In the immediate vicinity of the Obelisk there is the „Popas Vanatoresc” restaurant. Here, in the valley, by the forest at 200 m there is the „Tara” estival camp, with a capacity of 450 places. The camp occupies 5,3 ha, is being madeof 5 block buildings, a canteen for 350 persons, stadion, Summer club, a 50 m pool. The camp functions during June-August and serves during de season aproximatively 400 children. 25 employees are in charge of the camp’s activity, 16 of which are trained expresily in the service activities.


In the village of Anini there is a grape processing factory. The wine produced here is of the breeds Aligote, Feteasca, Muscat, Sauvignon or Isabela.


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (1429) with the Church „St. Voivodes Michael and Gabriel”.

Nature: pictoresque relief of the forests (2,8 thousand ha), lakes (216 ha), sourse with curative water.

Winery: S.A. „Lapuşna Vin” from Anini village.

Personalities: The ruler of Moldova Alexandru Lapusneanu.

Popular craftsmen: Nadejda Trestianu (the art of lace), Mihai Feraru (works in iron).

Rest zone: the lake net, the ranger’s cabin next to the „Popasul Vanatoresc”.


Housing: the „Tara” camp, in rooms arranged at the „Popasul Vânătoresc”, in available peasant households, in tents in the rest zone.


Alimentation: 14 bars, 28 alimentary store, 2 caffee-rooms and a restaurant.


Acces is being made by an asphalt road from Hincesti (19 km), on the national road to Leuseni or from the douane (22 km).



Negrea – is a small locality situeted across the creek Lapusnita, 5 km away from Carpineni and Lapusna. On the territory of the locality there is the „St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel” Monastery, assembled on the basis of the village church. Te church was built in 1878 and, according to the testimonies of the Christians, it took 5 years for the church to be built, the stone being brought from Bujor. Between 1969-1988 the church was closed. A few years later, în 1995, the Christians in the locality appealed to the Metropolitanate of Moldova, in order to build a new monasterym and in 2000 the new monastic sanctuary was officially dissolved. The monastery has 18 saint relics and an icon (copy) of the Theotokos from the famous monastery of Pociaev in Ukraine. On the territory of the monastery there are two churches. The first, on the basis of which the monastery was founded, is used in the Winter – „St. Archangels Michael and Gabriel”. The second – „The Cover of the Theotokos” is under construction. The monastery has a few cells, arranged for the accommodation of the pilgrims and visitors.


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (1825) with the Negrea Monastery (2000).

Pictoresque wood relief (883 ha).

Copular craftsmen : Elena Tiganas (the art of lace and netting).


Housing: in the available peasant households, in tents in the rest zones.


Alimentation: in the village there are 6 general stores and bars.


Acces is being made by an asphalt road, partially deteriorated, 5 km away from the national road branch Hincesti-Leuseni and 26 km away from Hincesti.




Carpineni – ancient abode of culture and civilization, carpeni is a village of free peasants, placed in the valley of Lapusna, 12 km east to the river Prut and 70 km west to the municipality of Chisinau. The village stretches on a plain and on the edges of the three branched hills. A branch begins in the valley of Lapusna, from the Chetrarie and stretches a few kilometers until it reaches the center of the village, where it meets another, coming from the Tirlichici valley. Both branches are separated by the hill of Negrii, which descends calmly to the middle of the village, a little broader, stretching under the eastern hills and forming the part of the village called Cotul lui Borş. From here stretches under the hill to the west, where it meets a sharp hill turn, called Varzareasca, and the one to the east to the endpoint is named Topor – a hamlet located on the other side of the plain, long ago part of the Ismail County, and later of the Cahul County.


Documented for the first time on the1st of June 1768, bearing the name of „Carpinenii dinspre Sarata”, located on the place of the actual domain of Selistea, Carpineni was relocated on the actual place around 1812, merging with Selistile Scortesti, Margelati and Tacu.


Even in the first half of the 20th century, Carpineni administered the village of Topor, turining it into a upskirt of Carpineni. From 1986, Carpineni were given to manage the village of Horjesti, situated 4 km to south-east. The village „Carpineni” was named after the hornbeam tree (in Romanian, carpen). Seliste Valley and The Valley of the Turk, that join together by the village Orac, bears the name of Valea Carpeni (25 km) and Valea Carpineni (15 km). On the territory of the commune there is the camp „Flacara”, placed next to the wood and a lake (2 ha). Yhe camp has a capacity of aproximatively 130 persons and was built in 1986. Around 1,1-1,2 thosand children are camped here each Summer.


5 km away from Carpineni there is the village of Horjesti, settlement with no more than a thousand inhabitants. The village is situated at the end of the Groove Valley, in the old days surrounded by fountains with grooves and springs. It borders a forest and a few lakes, at the border with the village Mingir.


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (1523) with the „St.John the Baptist” cathedral, and the „Ascension of the Lord” Church.

Nature: pictoresque afforest relief (2,19 thousand ha) and lakes (43 ha).

Winery: S.A. „Carpineni-Vin”.

Personalities: C. Moscvici (pan-pipe player, master of arts), St. Holban (deputy in the Country’s Council and the Parliament of Romania).

Popular craftsmen: the blacksmith Pavel Croitoru, Gheorghe Tornea (wood processing), Veronica Vizir (embroidery and weft).

Rest zone: The Pond of Slobozia.


Housing: the „Flacara” camp, in the available peasant households, in tents in the rest zones.


Alimentation: there are in the commune 22 bars, 3 general stores and 2 caffee-houses.


Access is being made by an asphalt road, 13 km away from the Leuseni-Hincesti national road branch and 33 km from Hincesti.




The third touristic route:


Nemteni – Cotul-Morii – Obileni – Ivanovca – Leuseni



Nemteni – the village is known on the 22th of August 1447 under the name of Hlapesti (another source documents the locality on the 27th of August 1483). It is known by the source of mineral water, that, in the Soviet era, was bottled and sold as „Hlopesti Water”. At present, the bio-chemical analyses are being reactualized, and they confirm the curative proprieties of the mineral water of the region of the village called Hirtoape.Although not capted yet, the source is located around 400 m away from the lake „Prutet”, in an afforest area, with a specific charme. All suggests here reposal and relaxation – the calm water of  natural lake, the forest in the meadow of Prut and the rich air, just like in balnear resort. Prut forms here the meanders Vatra Valisoarei and Sopirlesti, which, according to the suppositions of the locals, are the abodes of ancient medieva places. Among them, can be remembered: Valea Gangea, Ponoare, Movileni, Frasin, Bahna ş.a. Between 1870 and the period between the two world wars, at Nemteni there was a port and a bridge across the river, and between 1980-1988, in the old school functioned an estival camp for children.


In 1990, on the place of an older church, of 1935, (demolished in 1980) the „St. George” church is erected once again.


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (15th century).

Protected nature: source of mineral water, centennial trees, pictoresque felief in the meadow of Prut, forest (460 ha).

Personalities: Angela Paduraru.

Rest zones: Prutet


Housing: in the available peasant households (Mardari G., Gaina P., Solonovschi G.).


Alimentation: there are 6 bars and 3 general stores.


Acces is being made by a asphalt road, partially deteriorated connecting the village of Leuseni (20 km) with the city of Hincesti (55 km).



Cotul-Morii – the locality was mentioned for the first time on the 19th of August 1621, and,  at present, it is known by the fact that here there is one of the oldest wooden churches in the Republic of Moldova. This is placed in the middle of the cemetery, and is around three centuries old. Although it has not been functioning for long (requires restoration), the villagețs elders celebrate the celebration day on the 21st of September (The Birth of Theotokos).


The name of the locality comes, probably, from Cotul Mare, pictoresque place on the shore of the river Prut, where the locals go in the rest days. As a matter of fact, the meadow of Prut is very pictoresque here, in general – the river loops across groups of willow, poplar and oak trees. The relief is completed by wide areas of vinyards and orchards. Another pictoresque place is Ciolpani, where a lake is still preserved as well as the former restaurant on water. Between the River Prut and the orchard, at La Haiducul, a rest and amator fishing zone is arranged.


On the territory of the commune there is the village of Sarateni (or Sărateni) (1909).


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (17th century) with the wooden church „The Birth of the Theotokos”.

Nature: pictoresque relief in the meadow Prut, forest (465 ha).

Personalities: Petru Corduneanu, biologist schooler.

Popular masters: Maria Raicu (art of lace), Vasile Parfeni (vegetal fiber knit).

Rest zone: Cotul Mare (beach with accesses on licences), Ciolpani.


Housing: in available peasant households, in tents in the rest zones.


Alimentation: there are in the commune 3 bars and 4 general stores.


Acces is being made by asphalt road, partially deteriorated, connecting the village of Leuseni (16 km) and the city of  Hincesti (49 km).




Obileni – the village is located at around 14 km norrth to Leuseni. The first documentary mention appears on the 13th of May 1540 and documents the medieval abode Odaia Dilarului, which becomes later geographical check point on the maps in the region. In the village of Obileni there are more pictoresque places: the village abode of Odaia Dilarului, Movileni, Ruptura, Hirtop, Ponor, Iaridachi, Badrad ş.a., worth visiting. In the locality there is a receptive Christian community, that, in 1919, erected a stone church, „The Cover of Theotokos” (consecrated in 1930).


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (16th century) with „The Cover of the Theotokos” church.

Historical monument: geographical check point.

Personalities: Susana Popescu (folk music singer).

Winery: (from 1949).


Housing: in the available peasant households.


Alimentation: there are 4 bars, 1 general store.


Acces is being made by a asphalt road, partially deteriorated, connecting the village of Leuseni (14 km) and the city of Hincesti (44 km).




Leuseni – the oldest locality documentary documented (May 12, 1425) in the county, the commune of Leuseni represents one of the most important check points at the western boarder with the Republic of  Moldova. It is situated 41 km away from Hincesti and 80 km away from the capital city, Chisinau. The pictoresque landscape in the meadow of Prut is dominated by the forest along the river, the vineyards and the orchards nearby. The territory of the village is crossed by the affluent Narnova, and the hill relief still preserves the traces of a terrain slide in the old village’s abode. Here was kept the „St. Voivodes Michael and Gabriel” erected by the locals in 1838. In the 20th century, around the 90s, the village expanded to north-west with around 200 households.


Ever since 1900, the village Feteasca is part of the commune. This is located 8 km to the south of the douane and has 48 households.


In the industrial zone of the commune there is a grape processing factory. The wine produced here is of the breeds Aligote, Feteasca, Muscat, Sauvignon, Isabela. Unfortunately, it is no longer in service.


Visits and local trips:

Medieval abode (5/12/1425) with the „St. Voevodes Michael and Gabriel”.

Nature: meadow forest (469 ha), the river Prut.

International douane.

● Seized objects Museum, placed on the territory of the douane.

Monument in memory of the soldiers killed in the WWII, operation „Iasi-Chisinau” (on a high hill in 1969 a Soviet tank, found in the Prut river, was placed).



Housing: in the available peasant households, in tents in the rest zone.


Alimentation: there are 5 alimentary commercial units.


Acces is being made by two important main roads connecting the douane in Chisinau (77 km) and Hincesti (41 km); it can also be made from the direction of Leova, on around 25 km of deteriorated road.



Pentru informaţii despre celelalte programe finanţate de Uniunea Europeană īn Romānia, cāt şi pentru informaţii detaliate privind aderarea Romāniei la Uniunea Europeană, vă invităm să vizitaţi adresa web a Centrului de Informare al Comisiei Europene in Romania.
Acest site web nu reprezintă īn mod necesar poziţia oficială a Comisiei Europene. Īntreaga răspundere asupra corectitudinii şi coerenţei informaţiilor prezentate revine iniţiatorilor site-ului web.